Re: lynx-dev reg. lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reg. lynx
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:06:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, benny jose wrote:

> I downloaded lynx binary from your site.But when i tried to run it on my
> syustem it says ld.so failed.can't find shared library
> "libslang.so.0.9938";.Since I am not as technical guy I can't figur out
> what is the problem.I am running free bsd 2.2.5.

With the configure script working as well as it is, it is probably
simpler to compile your own version of lynx, than to try to get
a precompiled binary (that doesn't match your system) to work. I
just compiled 2.8.3dev.21 on freebsd 3.4-STABLE and it went without
a hitch. If you have a compiler such as gcc, you shouldn't have
problems, and you don't need technical expertise. Just get the
source distribution from lynx.isc.org and unpack it (your choice
of zip, tar.gz, or tar.bz2). Read the INSTALLATION file and decide
which options you would like to have in your binary. There are a few
libraries that you should have to make compilation work, libz and
either ncurses or slang. If everything is in a "standard" location,
just run configure with the options that you chose. If you want the
binary in a nonstandard location, be sure to use the --prefix= option.
You also need to use the --libdir= option to specify where the default
lynx.cfg resides. After configure runs, there will be a makefile.
Type "make" to create the binary. Then type "make install", "make
install-help", and "make install-doc" to install the program. Someone
on the list can usually help if you run into trouble trying to get the
binary built.

The binary distribution is probably best used only by those who can't
compile their own on systems where precompiled binaries are the norm
(such as DOS or MS Windows).
                          Doug
__
Doug Kaufman