Re: lynx-dev Windows character translation favors German over French?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Windows character translation favors German over French?
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:48:20 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > I've run some preliminary tests of lynx.exe with the IBM PC character
> > set option enabled, and the latest February version does indeed put
> > things like German umlauts where they belong, leaving accented French
> > characters translated as Greek letters.  Since the IBM PC character
> > set can at least do French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc., it appears
> > the translation algorithm could do with some more tweaking.
> > (
>
> I am a bit confused by exactly what you are doing here. Your email
> claimed to be in cp437, but your subject says windows. As far as I
> know, Microsoft Windows uses windows-1252 in the US. I thought that
> cp437 and cp850 were used primarily under plain DOS.

As far as I know, by default windows-1252 is used by default in a
when runnning in a window and cp850 in fullscreen mode.  (So when
you switch [Alt-Enter ?], the displayed characters change.  Thank
Microsoft for that.)

> If you are in
> Windows, do you have the same problem if you set Display Character
> Set to windows-1252? A mismatch between your Display Character Set
> setting and your actual display could account for unusual display of
> characters.

Sounds like he is using cp437 where cp850 should be used.
The code pages happen to agree on the posistions of the characters
used in German, but not some others.

   Klaus