Re: lynx-dev SSL and Lynx

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SSL and Lynx
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:40:31 -0500

000229 Larry W. Virden wrote:
> From: Michael Lerman <address@hidden>
>> I don't understand that !!!
>> We can download from all around the world netscape navigator & explorer
>> which include also SSL encryption But it is not possible to find
>> a similar compiled binary of lynx with SSL. Where is the logic ?

don't expect military/police types to be logical
or politicians acting on their advice:
where's the logic in the US `War on Drugs',
except as makework for a huge police establishment?

> Netscape and Microsoft pay lawyers to deal with the issues of paperwork,
> petitioning the US government, etc., and in fact,
> at least in the case of Netscape, even have code which checks to see
> if you are inside the US and provides differing versions of netscape
> Lynx has no central company with lawyers interested
> in filling all the appropriate paperwork, etc.
> No brave person outside the US appears to be advertising
> availability of precompiled or per-merged versions of the code.

yes, that's the problem: we don't have anyone in eg Australia/Belgium;
Canada is a grey area -- esp at this time of year (grin) -- ,
in that the Canadian government & its skeletal police agencies
have no interest of their own in the issue,
but might breathe heavily down the neck of someone
who was named by US agencies as helping terrorists/drug-dealers/etc:
said person would have to keep his/her nerve
& call what would end up as the RCMP's bluff/folly;
Canadian public opinion doesn't want the country
to play host to its big neighbour's real enemies,
but is very prickly about any intrusion on Canadian sovereignty by the USA.

since it's not difficult to compile Lynx+SSL
& US paranoia is continually being directed at new targets,
it probably isn't worth anyone's time to get involved.