Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 08:56:47 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Here's my draft of how a reorganized Froms Based Options Screen would
> appear.

  May be we should make these buttons to look more like buttons, e.g.

 [Accept Changes] [Reset Changes] [Help] Press Left arrow to escape

  - i.e. enclose button names in []?
  What is the dash between "Accept Changes" and "Reset Changes"?

>                          Save options to disk: [_]
>                 (options marked with (!) will not be saved)
>
>   General Preferences
>   User mode                        : [Advanced....]
>   Cookies (!)                      : [ask user..]
>   Searching type                   : [Case insensitive]

  May be "search type" will be more correct (I'm not sure)?

>   Keyboard Input
>   Keypad mode                      : [Links are numbered................]

   "Keyboard mode" is confusing - may be "Link navigation"? - anyway we have a
large space for descriptions so we can be more verbose.

>   Emacs keys                       : [OFF]
>   VI keys                          : [OFF]

  May be we should be smart and create a <SELECT> for keys that have options
"VI style","Emacs style","Default".

>   Line edit style                  : [Bash-like Bindings]
>   Keyboard layout                  : [YAWERTY Cyrillic, for DEC LK201 kbd]
>   Editor                           :
>
>   Display and Character Sets
>   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
>   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
>   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
>   Messages Locale (!)              :
>   X Display (!)                    :

  May be "X Window Display" would be better for novice users.

>   Document Appearance
  May be just "Appearance"? (show color and popups for select fields applies
not only to documents (user shouldn't think that 'Options' screen is document
too)).

>   Show color                       : [ON....]
>   Show cursor                      : [OFF]
>   Popups for select fields         : [ON.]
>   HTML error recovery (!)          : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]
>   Show images (!)                  : [as labels]
>   Verbose images                   : [OFF..........]
>
>   Headers transferred to servers
>   Personal mail address            :
>   Preferred document character set : _________________________________

  In general - may be it's better to make a <select> here?

>   Preferred document language      : _________________________________
>   User-Agent header (!)            :
>
>   Listing and Accessing Files
>   FTP sort criteria                : [By Name]

 May be "FTP listings sort criteria"?

>   Local directory sort criteria    : [Mixed style......]
>   Show dot files                   : [ON.]
>   Execution links                  : [FOR LOCAL FILES ONLY]
>
>   Special Files and Screens
>   Multi-bookmarks                  : [ADVANCED]
>   Review/edit Bookmarks files      : [2]Goto multi-bookmark menu
>   Visited Pages                    : [As Visit Tree..........]
>
>   Check your [3]lynx.cfg here
>
>          Accept Changes - Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes

  May be we should indent category name or preceed it with * or make it <li>?
  But in general - IMO this layout is better than existing.

> [...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad