Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:40:04 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I forgot to repond to 1 point in previous reply:
>
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > >
> > >   Display and Character Sets
> > >   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
> > >   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
> > >   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
> > >   Messages Locale (!)              :
> > >   X Display (!)                    :
> >
> > >   Document Appearance
> >   May be just "Appearance"? (show color and popups for select fields applies
> > not only to documents (user shouldn't think that 'Options' screen is
> > document
> > too)).
> >
> > >   Show color                       : [ON....]
> > >   Show cursor                      : [OFF]
> > >   Popups for select fields         : [ON.]
> > >   HTML error recovery (!)          : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]
> > >   Show images (!)                  : [as labels]
> > >   Verbose images                   : [OFF..........]
>
> Yes, it's true that "Show color" is not just for _Document_ Appearance.
> I chose to put it there anyway, because
>  - it didn't really seem to fit better somewhere else,
>  - after all, most of the time the user is supposed to view "documents",
>    so chaning "Document Appearance" is the main effect of "Show color"...
>
> I don't agree with the point about "Popups" - if the user "shouldn't think
> that ...", then he/she shouldn't see "select fields" (what's that?) either.
> The effect of the "Popups" setting on the Options screen (old or new) isn't
> emphasised anywhere as something separate from the effect on "Documents"
> with forms, AFAIK (although I haven't checked all the documentation).
> (The effect on the Options menu is explicitly described in
> Lynx_users_guide.html, but only for the *old*, key-based Options Menu.)
>
> So I still prefer "Document Appearance".   But if you insist (and
> nobody else has an opinion on this), I'll change
>    s/Document Appearance/Appearance/.

  I think that dropping 'document' is preferred (since there are a lot of
terms for what lynx displays - "pages", "files" (ok, not so useful) and some
else). Anyway, I don't like word "document" - this resembles "MS Windows
world" where even swap file is a document :) But I don't insist on rewordings
though consider my variants as "better".

 As for "searching type" vs "search type" - it would be interesting to hear
what's more correct from "natives".

>      Klaus

 Best regards,
  -Vlad