Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:53:15 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Still soliciting feedback on reordered Options (now, to avoid several
> iterations of patches);
>
> some questions
>  - should "Searching type" be in the "Keyboard Input" section?

   Seems it's rather "general preference" to leave it where it's now (IMO).

>  - in general, does the "General Preferences" section make sense?
>    (Cookies could go under "Headers transferred to servers", but
>     1. I think it should be in a prominent place, and
>     2. it's about more than "Headers _transferred to_", actually
>        it's primarily about accepting _from_.

  I think some sort of users change this setting very often in one session -
so it may be better to leave it where it is (almost at the top) to speed up
access to it.

>  - I'm tempted to put "Editor" at the _beginning_ of the "Keyboard
>    Input" section - it's so important that users fill this in (if
>    not restricted), otherwise they get only inferior fallback behavior
>    when using various features.
>  - Anything else (that can be done by just reordering, or renaming of
>    _sections_)?
>
> I'll probably leave it as it is, unless someone has strong opinions
> on the above.  So if you prefer some changes, this is the time to
> speak up.
>
>    Klaus
>
> [Main body of suggested new layout - repeated for ease of reference:]
> >   General Preferences
> >   User mode                        : [Advanced....]
> >   Cookies (!)                      : [ask user..]
> >   Searching type                   : [Case insensitive]
> >
> >   Keyboard Input
> >   Keypad mode                      : [Links are numbered................]
> >   Emacs keys                       : [OFF]
> >   VI keys                          : [OFF]
> >   Line edit style                  : [Bash-like Bindings]
> >   Keyboard layout                  : [YAWERTY Cyrillic, for DEC LK201 kbd]
> >   Editor                           :
> >
> >   Display and Character Sets

  May be it's better to use "Display and document character sets" (in order
not to be so lynx.cfg oriended) (current section name can be interpreted as
"display set and character set" - makes no sense at all).

> >   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
> >   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
> >   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
> >   Messages Locale (!)              :
> >   X Display (!)                    :
> >
> >   Document Appearance
> >   Show color                       : [ON....]
> >   Show cursor                      : [OFF]
> >   Popups for select fields         : [ON.]
> >   HTML error recovery (!)          : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]

  May be it would logically be better to move HTML error recovery to the end
of this section (i.e. after "verbose images")?

> >   Show images (!)                  : [as labels]
> >   Verbose images                   : [OFF..........]
> >

> [...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad