Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:50:02 +0900 (JST)

> [Main body of suggested new layout - repeated for ease of reference:]
> >   General Preferences
> >   User mode                        : [Advanced....]
> >   Cookies (!)                      : [ask user..]
> >   Searching type                   : [Case insensitive]

Better here than under "Keyboard Input".

> >   Keyboard Input
> >   Keypad mode                      : [Links are numbered................]
> >   Emacs keys                       : [OFF]
> >   VI keys                          : [OFF]
> >   Line edit style                  : [Bash-like Bindings]
> >   Keyboard layout                  : [YAWERTY Cyrillic, for DEC LK201 kbd]
> >   Editor                           :

Blank line is too long?  (Same question for others below.)

Editor might be better placed under "General Preferences", perhaps
before "Searching type".  It doesn't seem to me to have anything to
do with "Keyboard Input."
                  ^^^^^
> >   Display and Character Sets
> >   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
> >   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
> >   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
> >   Messages Locale (!)              :

What does one fill in here?  What happens if the locale is not available?

> >   X Display (!)                    :

I'm not an X user, but shouldn't this go under "Document Appearance?"

> >   Document Appearance

Do reduce this header to only "Appearance."  Keep "Document" unless
something better is thought of.  Maybe: "Screen," "Rendered," "Display."

> >   Show color                       : [ON....]

I know this is beyond the scope of your present changes, but who
knows when or if I'll get around to mentioning this again.  I don't
care much for the ALWAYS/NEVER.  It should be simply ON/OFF (or better,
the checkbox I mentioned yesterday).  *NO* permanent changes should
ever occur in an anonymous account.  That means that the SAVE button
I suggested a couple of days ago, the present checkbox for saving,
should not even be offered to anonymous users.  Why the mumbo-jumbo
about "start-up behavior" needs to be controlled here, ... well, I
better pick that bone another time.

> >   Show cursor                      : [OFF]

The reordering you propose makes more sense to me than the present
one.  Looks better, too, at least as presented in text.

__Henry