Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:11:17 +0400 (MSD)

3-Apr-2000 16:18 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Serge Munhoven wrote:
>> [...]
>> Wouldn't "X Display" better fit under "General Preferences" (not a matter of
>> prominence, but its for external viewers rather than the lynx screen) ?

> "X Display" is important only to a very small number of users; of
> those who use X at all, there's only a few (maybe approaching 0) who
> would have a need to change the DISPLAY while Lynx is running (as
> opposed to: before startup).  Those users would have some more-
> involved-than-usual X/networking setup, I think they can be expected
> to look around a bit and find the Option in its less-than-ideal
> place.

One step in the other direction:
could we detect that we are running under X
and made this field hidden for other cases
(non-UNIX platforms, running under console or some terminal)?
That would make more sence.

Another item: in FreeBSD, the environment variable $EDITOR usually set.
Could we pick it if there is no editor specified in lynx
(lynx.cfg nor .lynxrc) explicitely?