Re: lynx-dev Compile error on i686/linux RH 6.2

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Compile error on i686/linux RH 6.2
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:53:52 +0000

> It has other neat side effects (breaks makedepend in XFree86 for xterm ;-).
>
> -- until they get around to fixing it, your workaround would be to
> modify that ucontext.h file - change it to 'GLIBC_ERROR' I suppose...

Surely a better fix yould be for lync to #undef ERR in appropiate places. This
is not an error if ERR is not defined and clobeers it if it is. To quote from
page 523 of the POSIX programmers guide "applications should not declare any
symbols that begin whit an E followed by an uppcase letter or digit".

ERR contravienes that stipulation and it could be lynx is doing something
contrary to POSIX (just because it silently works almost everywhere does not
mean it is within the POSIX rules). Using reserved names after #undefing them
is allowed and safe (modulo the apps local header sbeing included after the
system ones).

> -- probably wouldn't hurt to email the glibc maintainers, since the last
> email I saw on the topic indicated they weren't in a hurry to fix it.

They might be in a position to quote some standard and point the finger at
lynx, makedpend and all the other code that the change breaks. As for breaking
xfree86, I find the cpp in gcc 2.96 ideal (plus various other bugs in gcc 2.96
create borken executables last time I looked, enough said).
--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is