Re: lynx-dev Compile error on i686/linux RH 6.2

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Compile error on i686/linux RH 6.2
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:18:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Duncan Simpson wrote:

> > It has other neat side effects (breaks makedepend in XFree86 for xterm ;-).
> >
> > -- until they get around to fixing it, your workaround would be to
> > modify that ucontext.h file - change it to 'GLIBC_ERROR' I suppose...
>

> Surely a better fix yould be for lync to #undef ERR in appropiate places. This

No,  it's not Lynx's job to fix screwups of unrelated packages that
it just happens to depend on.

> is not an error if ERR is not defined and clobeers it if it is. To quote from
> page 523 of the POSIX programmers guide "applications should not declare any
> symbols that begin whit an E followed by an uppcase letter or digit".

Lynx (the application) doesn't do this; of if it does, that's not the
problem.  See the compiler messages again:

In file included from /usr/include/ucontext.h:27,
                 from /usr/include/signal.h:317,
                 from LYSignal.h:5,
                 from ./LYClean.c:4:
/usr/include/sys/ucontext.h:74: warning: `ERR' redefined
/usr/include/curses.h:195: warning: this is the location of the
             ^^^^^^^^
previous definition

It's the library include files conflicting with each other, not lynx
conflicting with one of them.

   Klaus