Re: lynx-dev LYNX: Short blurb about "self-destructing files [web pages]

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: Short blurb about "self-destructing files [web pages]" HUH?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:38:04 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, David Combs wrote:

> Here's a blurb from that acm-news-list:
>
>      * "This File Will Self-Destruct-Now!"
>        Interactive Week (04/03/00) Vol. 7, No. 13, P. 50; Spangler, Todd
>        A new wave of products can now limit access to proprietary
>        business-to-business information sent over the Internet. Several
>        companies, such as Authentica, produce software that allows a
>        sender to limit access to a file based on the recipient's
>        identity, also converting the file so it cannot be copied,
>        forwarded, or printed. The software enables the user to select a
>        specific time that the document will self destruct. For example,
>        Authentica's PageVault allows the sender to set the access level
>        of a particular document, listing who can read it and what
>        functions, such as forwarding, they are allowed to perform. The
>        Authentica server software then digests this information, and
>        sends the document to the recipient, who must log on to
>        Authentica before viewing the document. Authentica's WebVault
>        requires the same check-in process for HTML Pages, and its
>        Mail-Vault product protects email messages. This new type of
>        software has also created a new business niche for other
>        companies. Authentica is currently working with 1ClickCharge to
>        form an information-rental business. Authentica competitor
>        Infraworks is currently testing its InTether software, which it
>        says is the most comprehensive data-erasing program available.
>

> What in the world are they talking about?
>
> If, via lynx (or any other browser?), you can SEE the page
> or text on the screen, how can they possibly stop you
> from hitting "p" and saving to a file, and then doing
> whatever you please WITH it?

  I doubt that lynx will be able to show such documents. It's said that
user must login to Authentica before viewing - I guess some Java or Javascript
code forces to do this, and the information to show is encrypted in some way.
After logging in, some key is fetched to decrypt the document. Again, some
java or javascript code will force to abandon the document being viewed when
time limit expires.

> Or just a scam trying to do an IPO to a bunch of idiots?

 Aren't all they?

> David

 Best regards,
  -Vlad