Re: lynx-dev Serious problem with radiobuttons 2.8.3.dev15

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Serious problem with radiobuttons 2.8.3.dev15
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 22:33:56 +0100 (BST)

> I do not know what would Netscape report back in the case nothing was
> selected, but this particular behaviour may be desirable to emulate
> even if it is not required by the standards.

The HTML 4.01 specification is so ambiguously worded in this area
that I actually sought clarification on the www-html mailing list.

Lynx is required to behave the way it does for HTML 2.0 and 3.2
documents, and permitted to do so for HTML 4 documents.  In addition,
HTML 3.2 documents are not permitted to omit a checked attribute on
all buttons.  Your sample claims, by default, to be HTML 2.0, even though
it includes attributes not in HTML 2.0.

The response I got theorised that HTML 4 was made ambiguous because the
big two were violating the specification.

Basically the document design is at fault, not the browser.

For more information see:

http://www.hut/fi/u/jkorpela/forms/choices.html#app

and

http://pppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/%7eflavell/www/testradio.html