Re: lynx-dev Mouse point and click on the console

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mouse point and click on the console
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 100 08:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,
>
> Is there any chance of this being implemented into Lynx so one
> doesn't have to fiddle with ncurses and gpm?
>
> The Links browser can make use of the mouse this way and so can

links uses gpm directly and iirc hardcoded escape sequences.

> for instance the Jed editor so I thought maybe it wasn't so
> hard to implement? The latter is based on slang so at least

grumble: gpm's interface is rather ugly, and the package itself is not
portable and I'd rather not modify every program to work with it.  (No
one else sends patches for it, either - that's the real determining
factor).

But the main problem with gpm is that a number of people have packaged
it linking in wgetch() from the BSD curses package, making it unusable
from ncurses unless it's recompiled.  But of course that doesn't prevent
people from linking with slang - I have in mind one of the Redhat releases
which did exactly this, configuring gpm in this way and then using it
only for the 3-4 slang-linked applications that could use it.

> .h2 USE_MOUSE
> # If USE_MOUSE is set TRUE, Lynx (when configured with ncurses)
> # will allow the user to click with button-1 on links to select them.
>

> This is only halfway true since it requires ncurses to be
> compiled --with-gpm and I don't know how many distributions

more/less (I mostly use the mouse myself with xterm, but it works fine in
win32 using pdcurses or even slang).  But you're right (the wording is
not clear).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden