lynx-dev DTDs (was: Anyone have a suggested new url for user guide)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev DTDs (was: Anyone have a suggested new url for user guide)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:58:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> >> document declaration for the Lynx help/doc files, I don't think it
> >> would be too hard to move up to http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd.
> >
> >What's the point?  Just because it is fashionable?
>
> Do you mean "What is the point of supporting HTML 4"

It needs to be defined what that means.

> or do you mean
> "What is the point of updating the doc to show that Lynx is compatible
> already with HTML 4" or what?

"What is the point of messing with the doc files for some formal reason
when they already work fine with 'HTML 4 browsers'[*], already have a
DOCTYPE, and already can be validated?"

[*] At least, I don't see anything in 'moving up to .../loose.dtd' that
would make them work better, in any way.

But what does 'compatible with HTML 4' mean?  No offence, but without
definition, this sounds like somebody throwing around marketing terms
without knowing about the compatibility already built into HTML.

   Klaus