Re: lynx-dev Connecting to... + press any arror key -> CPU problem

From: Frederic L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Connecting to... + press any arror key -> CPU problem
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:15:16 -0300

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 09:38:43AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
| On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:
|
| > When you connect to a site and Lynx stays at the Connecting
| > to phase for a time (slow modem or site etc),
|
| Not at the "Making ... connection to ..." stage, only at the
| "Looking up ..." stage.  (If you have this often - and repeatedly
| with the same site -, you should probably run a caching nameserver
| locally.)

Yes, but I'm running a caching here. dnscache, a replacement for
BIND. The same happens with my ISP's nameservers. I'm on a slow
link - a private line (33.600bps).

| This should only appear if you have configured --enable-nsl-fork.
| (And last I checked, that still wasn't the default.)

Yes, I use --enable-nsl-fork.

| CheckForInterrupt returns immediately if not enough time has passed
| since the last check, as a result LYGetHostByName busy-loops (because
| the next select() will return immediately, HTCheckForInterrupt will then
| be called immediately again, and so on.)
|
| > Can you reproduce it on your system?
|
| Yes.  Linux, with both ncurses and slang (under the conditions mentioned).
|
| Try either of the following (both untested), I'd expect the CPU
| consumption to go down drastically:

OK, will install pre7 then. I'm still with pre1.

| a) in LYUtils.c, in function
|        PRIVATE int DontCheck NOARGS
| insert a line
|            return FALSE;
| before
|        #if HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
|
| b) in HTTCP.c, in function
|        PUBLIC struct hostent * LYGetHostByName ARGS1
|    remove or comment out these lines:
|                 if (kbd_fd != INVSOC) {
|                     FD_SET(kbd_fd, &readfds);
|                 }
|
| In any case, this is a minor problem (but still unnecessary).

Yes, I'm not used to press the arrow keys while looking up.

--
Frédéric L. W. Meunier