Re: lynx-dev <input type=hidden name="Username" value="charliem" size=

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev <input type=hidden name="Username" value="charliem" size=16 maxlength=16>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:51:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Charlie Mengler wrote:

> Dear Lynx Wizards,
>
> I'm the 1st to admit that I really don't know what I'm doing WRT to lynx or
> creating webpages. If it matters I'm running Lynx on a Solaris V2.6 system
> & using Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP2 for the webserver.
>
> I've created a "dynamic" HTML page that contains the following text -
> <input type=hidden name=Username value=charliem size=16 maxlength=16>
>
> When viewed using the typical GUI browsers it works as desired. The
> variable gets passed from one form to another & the user never sees the
> variable & can NOT change it.
>
> When this page is viewed with Lynx not only does the field get displayed,
> the user can change the value of it. I need to prevent the user from
> changing the Username.
>
> I'm surprised that Lynx does not seem to "properly" handle fields that are
> tagged as "hidden". Of course it is entirely likely that this is just a
> local configuration issue. However I could not find any mention of this in
> the Lynx documentation that I have or found online.
>
> Any feedback, suggestions or other input would be greatly welcomed.

I can't reproduce the problem with lynx 2.8.2 and 2.8.3pre.7. The fields
you're talking about, "Username and "Enumber" are NOT displayed. Both
versions display your page like this:

   For Bruce Charles Mengler

   Street __________________________________________________
   City __________________________________________________
   State __
   Postal Code _____
   Phone ____________
   Emergency Contact Name ____________________
   Emergency Contact Street
   Emergency Contact City
   Emergency Contact State __
   Emergency Contact ZIP _____
   Emergency Contact Relationship _____
   Emergency Contact Phone ____________
   Submit Reset

Which lynx version are you using?

Ismael
      | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden        |
      | Production sound mixer     | http://www.pubnix.net/~ismael     |
      | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.pubnix.net/users/ismael |