Re: lynx-dev HTML.c pre.6 patch

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTML.c pre.6 patch
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:57:39 +0400 (MSD)

20-Apr-2000 07:47 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 100, T.E.Dickey wrote:

>> > * Correct handling of CHARSET attributes on LINK and A.  Basically this
>> >   reverts back to original 2.7.2ac logic.
>> > * Enable handling of CHARSET attributes on LINK - it was disabled,
>> >   probably accidentally.
>> > * Prevent CHARSET attributes from modifying the charset assumption
>> >   for the _current_ document.
>>
>> thanks (is this a stable change, or will we be discussing it?)

> This should be stable.  Whether CHARSET attributes do always have the
> desired effect or not, that may be up for discussion - but this isn't
> really used in Web pages today since no other browser afaik does anything
> with it.  But the important correction - prevent this code from kicking
> in when it shouldn't - should be acceptable to everyone interested.
> (I.e., Leonid and me :) ).
>      Klaus

That was my changes (>1 year ago), perhaps without exact
understanding the subject.

But please check the comment marked with (**) below:
certain parts of code relay on it
(_many_ checks like current_char_set>=0 etc. were removed
due to this invariant, I don't know whether it is
always true for UCLYhndl_for_unspec now).

LYMain.c:
    /*
     * Make sure we have the character sets declared.
     *  This will initialize the CHARTRANS handling. - KW
     */
    if (!LYCharSetsDeclared()) {
        fprintf(stderr, gettext("\nLynx character sets not declared.\n\n"));
        exit(-1);
    }
    /*
     *  (**) in Lynx, UCLYhndl_HTFile_for_unspec and UCLYhndl_for_unrec may be
     *  valid or not, but current_char_set and UCLYhndl_for_unspec SHOULD
     *  ALWAYS be a valid charset.  Initialized here and may be changed later
     *  from lynx.cfg/command_line/options_menu. - LP  (**)
     */
    /*
     *  Set up the compilation default character set. - FM
     */
    current_char_set = safeUCGetLYhndl_byMIME(CHARACTER_SET);
    /*
     *  Set up HTTP default for unlabeled charset (iso-8859-1).
     */
    UCLYhndl_for_unspec = LATIN1;
    StrAllocCopy(UCAssume_MIMEcharset,
                        LYCharSet_UC[UCLYhndl_for_unspec].MIMEname);