lynx-dev Re: release

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: release
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:13:44 -0400

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 09:46:25AM -0400, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > (Jim wrote:)
> > Will you add the message catalogs to the release?
>
> I don't think we should: it's an increase of ~750kb in the size of the
> download, and is not usable on Win32, DOS or VMS (I see that 2.8.3's
> already 10% larger than 2.8.2).
>
> Instead, we should make it simple to download those in a single tarball
> or at least provide them in gzip'd form.

I don't see 750K extra in the compressed form:

With message texts:
2353849 Apr 11 03:11 lynx-2.8.3.pre3.tar.gz

Without:
2037220 Apr 22 18:16 lynx2.8.3pre.8.tar.gz

Bzip2 compresses even better.

I think it will be more confusing to have 2 different release packages.
We can go back to the stripped version for the next development cycle.

We should also have a source branch that includes checkins of new
message catalogs for 2.8.3 as they are written.

------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
The first ten million years were the worst, and the second ten million
years, they were the worst too. The third million years I didn't enjoy
at all. After that I went into a bit of decline.