Re: lynx-dev Re: release

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: release
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 100 10:18:58 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 09:46:25AM -0400, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > > (Jim wrote:)
> > > Will you add the message catalogs to the release?
> >
> > I don't think we should: it's an increase of ~750kb in the size of the
> > download, and is not usable on Win32, DOS or VMS (I see that 2.8.3's
> > already 10% larger than 2.8.2).
> >
> > Instead, we should make it simple to download those in a single tarball
> > or at least provide them in gzip'd form.
>
> I don't see 750K extra in the compressed form:

I got the number by zipping all of po into one file.

> With message texts:
> 2353849 Apr 11 03:11 lynx-2.8.3.pre3.tar.gz
>
> Without:
> 2037220 Apr 22 18:16 lynx2.8.3pre.8.tar.gz
>
> Bzip2 compresses even better.
that applies essentially only to Unix (those others use zip)

> I think it will be more confusing to have 2 different release packages.

If the po files were up-to-date, I could agree - as it is, they're not,
and it's likely that they'll be updated piecemeal over the next several
months.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden