Re: lynx-dev pre8 - open documentation issues

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev pre8 - open documentation issues
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:51:11 -0700

(Don't mind the "pAb-032871" bit.  It's just a trick to sort automated
junk-mailers from people.  My name is Patrick.)

> Rather than this method, I would recommend copying your htmlized file
> to some convenient directory and rename it with an .html extension.
> Then link to it from your [customized] H)elp, J)ump or I)ndex file.

[...]
> Wouldn't want you to reinvent the wheel unless you really want to.  Since
> it was done practically a year ago, it may need tweaking:
>    Linkname: Re: lynx-dev lynxcfg.html ideas

Thanks for the reference.  I didn't know someone had already scripted HTML
conversion of lynx.cfg.  Also didn't know Lynx now has a "crude includes
facility".  As a local executable, I'm kind of stuck with v2.7.1 -- the
only version ever ported to MacOS.  Asking my ISP about a shell account
though.

For the curious:
http://www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/maclynx/

> You'd think it would have been enough.  Some people like the kitchen sink
> in the living room, I guess.
>
> __Henry

Hmm, kitchen sink in the living room. . .  Might be nice if you eat in
front of the TV a lot.  ;-)

Actually, I still *kind of* like the idea because;
A)-Two separate files [lynx.cfg and lynxcfg.html] take up twice as much
   room.
B)-You might forget to record changes to lynx.cfg in lynxcfg.html, and
   that could get confusing [or does the includes support handle that?].

Making just one file serve as both config and HTML reference would fix
both problems.  But if I'm alone in that, no need to bore you with
details.  If the actual placement of lynx.cfg is a problem, you could
always put an alias in a more conveient place [or .lnk shortcut, on PC].

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>

[old message, in case you're not following this thread.
Ignore this if you're already bored with the details.]