lynx-dev yahoo and funny user-agent thing

From: H. Nanosecond
Subject: lynx-dev yahoo and funny user-agent thing
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 02:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

This is not very important, but funny:

I am writing a script to download my mail from yahoo,
(http://login.yahoo.com/ to be exact)
I tried curl but it gave me an error page.

After fiddling aroung with telnet for an hour I discovered that
they search the user-agent for the substring 'Lynx/2.7' or 'Lynx/2.8'
so 'Lynx/2.9.0pre.1' will give us an error page until they
fix it. Weird.

Also the error page suggests Lynx, which is cool:

   Unfortunately, Personalized Yahoo! currently requires a web browser
   which supports--among other things--``cookies'' and tables. Some
   browsers which support both cookies and tables are Netscape Navigator,
   Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera Browser, and Lynx.

(althought lynx hasn't supported tables so well, no offense meant)