Re: lynx-dev Re: Download 2.8.3 from release page

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Download 2.8.3 from release page
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:52:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Mark Mentovai wrote:

> Webmaster Jim wrote:
> >Works for me (I just grabbed the bz2 version). Any specific links broken
> >for you or are they all broken?
>
> It's working now, but it sure wasn't this morning or last night.
>
> Can we get the .bz2 extension mapped to a better MIME type now
> (application/x-bzip2 probably?

Yes, please.  Since it's apache, all it should take is

   AddType application/x-bzip2 bz2

in a .htaccess file.  (If you can't / don't want to change the actual
server configuration files.)

> Maybe also add an encoding of x-bzip2?) so

Adding *"also"* an encoding (if you mean by that: make the server send a

header) is wrong.
1) the content-type "application/x-bzip2" already says that it's a bzip2'd
   file.  Adding the content-encoding header would mean that it is in
   addition encoded according to xxxx, i.e. double-compressed, which is of
   course not the case.
2) There is no registered (or agreed) value fo xxxx anyway to mean "bzip2
   compression".  Maybe one day someone will register such a thing with
   IANA (or whatever they call it now), then we can think about it.

    Klaus