Re: lynx-dev VMS compilation and Slang

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev VMS compilation and Slang
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 22:19:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Jerome LAURET wrote:

>       I still maintain the following : colors are enabled only if I
> use -color explicitly regardless of my terminal setting,

Have you checked saved settings?  (I don't even know what the equivalent
to .lynxrc is, under VMS)

> lynx.cfg settings,

...only determine what the COLORs are *if* color is on...

> lynx.lss etc ...

...never gets consulted except when compiled with USE_COLOR_STYLE
=> never gets used when compiled with slang.

Slang documentation says (cslang.txt):

  Of course not all terminals are color terminals.  If the S-Lang global
  variable SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors is non-zero, the terminal is assumed to
  be a color terminal.  The SLtt_get_terminfo will try to determine
  whether or not the terminal supports colors and set this variable
  accordingly.  It does this by looking for the capability in the
  terminfo/termcap database.  Unfortunately many Unix databases lack
  this information and so the SLtt_get_terminfo routine will check
  whether or not the environment variable COLORTERM exists.  If it
  exists, the terminal will be assumed to support ANSI colors and
  SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors will be set to one.  Nevertheless, the
  application should provide some other mechanism to set this variable,
  e.g., via a command line parameter.

If you use -color (or -nocolor) with lynx, lynx sets that
SLtt_Use_Ansi_Colors variable.  Otherwise lynx will leave the
value determined by the slang library's SLtt_get_terminfo alone
(unless the logic in lynx is somehow broken - but it seems to
work fine for me on linux).

    Klaus