lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

Well, maybe "NOT FOUND -- OR MAYBE JUST BUSY".

Anyway, we should be ABLE to turn OFF the subsequent wait for
an entire (white) screen saying "site not found" (or whatever it
does say, I forget, and don't want to ^z this email and fg lynx
and try it again).

I mean, that screen displaying (and waiting for it to be generated
from disk or wherever) TAKES TIME -- when all we want to do is,
lynx style (ie QUICKLY), either try it again, or go do something else.

ESPECIALLY when we try it several times (ie when assuming that the
site IS there, but merely busy) in a row (this is chain-of-thought
writing!) -- having to wait for that stupid content-free screen to
display, and then having to back off from it, just to hit the
return or "l" (ell) key again ....

Anyway, I've presented a topic for discussion.   :-)

David

;
;