Re: lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:14:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 3 May 2000, David Combs wrote:

> Well, maybe "NOT FOUND -- OR MAYBE JUST BUSY".

Lynx doesn't make the message up.  If the server says NOT FOUND, then
we have to assume that that's what it means.

> Anyway, we should be ABLE to turn OFF the subsequent wait for
> an entire (white) screen saying "site not found" (or whatever it
> does say, I forget, and don't want to ^z this email and fg lynx
> and try it again).

Try pressing 'z' while the statusline alert is shown.
That may or may not suppress the loading of the error page - depending
on unpredictable timing issues and on the way the server packages its
response into datagrams.

> I mean, that screen displaying (and waiting for it to be generated
> from disk or wherever) TAKES TIME -- when all we want to do is,
> lynx style (ie QUICKLY), either try it again, or go do something else.

Whatever is on that screen is not generated by lynx.  It is a Web
document just like any other.  You can view its source (\) etc.
If it doesn't contain any useful information (for you) - that's the
server operators' choice.

> ESPECIALLY when we try it several times (ie when assuming that the
> site IS there, but merely busy) in a row

If the site is "merely busy", the server should not send a 404 status -
there are more appropriate codes for that.

   Klaus

;
;