Re: lynx-dev Lynx removes spaces in URLs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx removes spaces in URLs
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 12:13:52 +0100 (BST)

> > any discussions about this, so here goes...  It seems that when
> > viewing any html document (remote or local, doesn't matter) with a
> > link URL containing spaces, they will be removed.  That is:

This is correct behaviour for browsers; white space is not significant
in URLs because they might get word wrapped etc. in printed form,
breaking the URL.  Where there are spaces in the underlying file name,
they should be represented by %20 in the URL.

This is yet another case of authors incorrectly relying on error recovery
behaviour.

> > I think (I might be wrong) that the correct behaviour would be not
> > to modify anything internally, and then quote spaces as "%20" only
> > when needed -- in particular, in HTTP requests.  As far as I can

The quoting rule only applies for HTTP because it applies more generally;
it would have been easy to specify HTTP to allow literal spaces.