Re: lynx-dev COLOR WHITE and Ctl-C

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev COLOR WHITE and Ctl-C
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 21:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Bob Blackledge wrote:

> Probably newbie questions, but having just installed
> pre-built 2.8.3pre.8 under MS-DOS V7.1 (no Win) with
> I can't see any difference between WHITE and LIGHTGRAY
> for background in any COLOR option of .CFG; other colors
> Separately, ^C (or ^Break) exits LYNX to DOS when long
> DNS lookup (or other lengthy activity) in process...
> "z" does nothing in such circumstances.  Doc-files
> say that these should cancel work-in-process...?

You are probably observing the same behavior as everyone else. I
presume that you are using the binary from my web/ftp site. This
is compiled with PDCurses. Background colors can not be intense
under PDCurses. If compiled with S-Lang, intense background colors
are available. Write to me privately if you need a S-Lang compiled
binary.

During long DNS lookup, CTRL-C should get you back to lynx, asking
if you want to quit. Answering "n" should leave you in lynx. If
you type CTRL-C when not in DNS lookup, you will exit lynx to DOS.
This behavior is in the WATT-32 code, rather than in the lynx code
itself. "z" will cancel http download in progress and put you back
to lynx. The main time that you can't easily cancel in the DOS port
is during "request sent, waiting for reply". In that circumstance,
"z" does nothing and CTRL-C will exit to DOS. I would advise waiting
for timeout then. Perhaps someone will come up with code to allow
cancelling in this cirucustance, but I don't think it has been done
yet.

                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman