Re: lynx-dev Danish translation of lynx

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Danish translation of lynx
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 00:15:32 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, robert bonomi said:

> Date: Tue, 9 May 00 00:48:08 CDT
>
> There were terminals that did 'auto-line-wrap' when you wrote in

Presumably termcap/terminfo/curses are able to keep track of this.  At
worst you can explicitly address the cursor to the beginning of each line.

> the last character on the line.  *AND*, if it was the bottom row of
> the screen, it would *SCROLL* the screen -- with catastrophie results
> as far as knowing "what's whare" on the screen.

This only applies to the last line.  Use the last line for status
messages, and restrict it to width-1, or if necessary, width-2.

> Then there were the units that 'used up' a character-position on the
> display when you turned an 'attribute' (blink, bold, reverse-video,
> underline, etc.) on, or off.
>
> Get em both together, and the last usable "printable" position on the
> line is 78.  79 has to be 'reserved' for an 'attribute', since you
> can't use use 80 for anything.  And, some attributes _had_ to be
> turned off, before sending a cursor code to move to a different
> line.
>
> I don't think there's been a machine made in 20 years that has that
> latter 'feature'.

IBM 327x.  But these don't support curses, so they're irrelevant to
lynx.

If "vi" can figure it out and use the entire screen width, why can't lynx?

>From the mainframe world, I have lots of potential "file://" URLs with
80-column wide data, even if it's only because they're blank-padded to
80 columns or have line numbers on the right..  It's a genuine irritation
to see these double-spaced on a default 24x80 xterm.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL