Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 13:08:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 9 May 100, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> whatever.
>
> you already made your point, I thought, and when I get back to lynx patches,

Didn't see any acknowledgment of the point.

I ask again to explain what you meant by
> > >                                ......  With Unix
> > > permissions set up as they are, that's an got to be an error.

> I'll modify it to accommodate that (unless there's a patch to integrate).
> Moving the logic for the temporary directory down a level to invoke it
> on demand (and repairing the umask as needed) is the better solution.

Removing the logic for the temporary directory completely, for those
who don't need it, is the best solution.  Or at least giving the option
to do so at compile time.

Which of the following statements are true?

The code for creating the temporary directory does not increase security
in any way, if the TMPDIR or LYNX_TEMP_SPACE is pointing to a safe user-
private directory.

The code for creating the temporary directory does not increase security
in any way, if the t-bit prevents renaming of non-writable files.

If both are true, then I want to compile lynx such that it never
creates a temporary directory on this system.  If both are not true,
then I have misunderstood you so far, and ask for more explanation.

   Klaus