Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:09:24 +0900 (JST)

> To enumerate reasons "why I don't want":
>  1. added complications (e.g., umask problem)
[...]
>     lynx exit with error - see above)
>  3. added overhead of creating/removing a directory - completely
>     unnecessary in many situations (e.g. with -dump, -source)
>  4. added chance of leaving stray directories (if lynx crashes, or
>     system crashes).
>  5. It isn't easy to see whether such a directory belongs to a still-
>     running process or is old garbage.
>  6. Currently impossible to run lynx (if compiled with HAVE_MKTEMP)
>     without a writable directory (which you agreed should be accomodated,
>     below)
>  7. It's undocumented that lynx now sometimes acts this way, sometimes
>     not, and what the criteria are.

>From my perspective, these are all valid arguments.  I still run an
anonymous access Lynx.  Since the successful "crack in" at the main
campus of our university I have installed a couple of cron-job scripts
which watchdog the set-up for me.  Creation of a directory unexpectedly
could cause all ports on the machine to close immediately upon detection.
I really don't have the time to go through all the routines to make sure
they would work with the new scheme, which would mean I can no longer offer
the latest release.  Anyway, in the new development round I hope some of
these basic issues will get precedence over new frills and features.

__Henry