Re: lynx-dev terminal emulators, SIGWINCH (was: Danish translation)

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev terminal emulators, SIGWINCH (was: Danish translation)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:25:57 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Duncan Simpson said:

> Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:13:35 +0000

> > M$ telnet (unless - I've read W2K telnet fixes this) doesn't pass resizing
> > information via SIGWINCH.  Not lynx's fault.
>
> Which turns out to be irrelevent becuase I have the probloem using xterm on a
> couple of operating systems (solaris/SPARC and linux).

<sigh> In my .profile, and in a wretched case statement which depends
on OS, SHELL, phase of moon, and barometric pressure,  I have
various statements such as:

    rsWINCH() { echo "Caught SIGWINCH">&2;  resize; }
    trap rsWINCH WINCH

Bash is pretty good at handling SIGWINCH and setting LINES and COLUMNS.
Other shells do less well.  In some cases I parse the output of
"stty -a" and set LINES and COLUMNS myself.  On OS/390 I don't
have a working "resize", but someone just told me of one, and I'm
trying to compile it as I type.  If there's a standard way to do
all this, I don't know it.  </sigh>

And Lynx's behavior is reported to depend on whether you're using
ncurses or slang or whatever.  My observation is that Lynx as I
compile it knows only the settings of LINES and COLUMNS when started,
and is completely insensitive to SIGWINCH.  YMMV.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL