Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 06:29:30 -0700

[May/10/2000 Wed 00:10:08]
In "Re: lynx-dev Re: Administrivia: List "reply" address"
David Woolley wrote:

> > explicitly setting Reply-to: <self> <lynx-dev>.  The message failed
>
> There should be a , after <self>, although I don't believe that
> Majordomo does any checking of the contents of the line.

Well, seems like everyone's written something about this.  Guess I will
too:

While I like the IDEA of two comma-separated addresses in the "Reply-To:"
header, it would mean the origial author gets two copies of every reply.
Could make for a lot of sorting trouble if you leave your keyboard alone
a few days. . .

What about two headers:

All that majordomo would need to do is insert;
" address@hidden
X-Old-Reply-To:"
in between "Reply-To:" and " <original address>".  I'm assuming the "X-"
prefix defines this header as a comment to be ignored.

Or -- this might be more complicated to implement, but more useful -- it
could instead put "Old-Reply-To: <original address>" at the top of the
message body, the same way quote strings are inserted.  Either way, for
those rare [?] occasions where people send and recieve mail on two
separate accounts, that would make the original sender's address
available for comparison, if not all that easy to use.

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>