Re: lynx-dev Big Brother was English

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Big Brother was English
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:34:04 +0100 (BST)

> AP we 000510 1622

Are you sure you have permisson to re-publish; press agency material normally
doesn't come with that permission.

> capable of tracking every e-mail and Internet hit in the country,

The legislation doesn't authorize tracking every e-mail.  All it does
is require the infrastructure to be able to monitor a small proportion
of mail for specific people at any one time.   The article also
doesn't clearly explain one of the main concerns, which is to do with
having to prove that one has lost a key (presumption of guilt) and is
not dependent on the monitoring infrastructure.

I think there may be valid concerns, but this article was far from
the best explanation of them that I have seen on the net.  At a guess,
an AltaVista link: search for the Bill will produce some better ones.