Re: lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:51:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 May 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:
> In "lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved"
> [16/May/2000 Tue 00:04:10]
> David Balazic wrote:

> >lynx version : Lynx 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999)
> >system       : HP-UX hostname B.10.20 C 9000/782 2009332812 32-user license

You should upgrade to 2.8.3.  There were some changes regarding cookies
(although not directly for *this* question, afaik).

> > I discovered that the option Cookies - Ignore is not saved to disk.
> > the other two work as expected ( "ask user" and "accept all" ).
> > The option "ignore" is valid until I exit lynx , on next start it
> > reverts
> > to the previous setting.

Yes, it is one of the known inconsistencies, caused by combining two
different flags into one three-way choice in the 'O'ptions page.

> Hmm, do you have access to your lynx.cfg, or are you using Lynx
> on a shared machine [ie: from a shell account]?  Lynx.cfg has
> more detailed stuff about cookies, and the settings ARE permanent.
> You can modify it in an ordinary text editor.
>
> If your editor has some kind of Find/Search feature, entering
> "cookie" or "cookies" [case insensitive] as a search string will
> get you there a lot faster.  "COOKIE" if it can only do case-sensitive.
>
> > possible cause :
> > the .lynxrc file has only  value accept_all_cookies, which is either
> > TRUE or FALSE, which masp to either "accept all" or "ask user"

Yes, 'accept_all_cookies'(.lynxrc)/'ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES'(lynx.cfg)/
'-accept_all_cookies'(command line) is really an independent boolean
setting from 'SET_COOKIES'(lynx.cfg)/'-cookies'(command line).  The
'O'ptions page combines both, but internally they are still handled
separately, and the second one has no .lynxrc equivalent.

As Patrick indicated, you have to edit your lynx.cfg manually to 'save'
your preference for 'SET_COOKIES'.  (Or always use a command line flag.)

> I'm guessing you know that cookies only last as long as Lynx is
> running.  As soon as you quit Lynx, all cookies from that session
> are dumped [in other words, it only puts the data in RAM, or maybe
> in a temp file, but nowhere permanent on disk].

That was so in version 2.7.1.  Not any more if PERSISTENT_COOKIES is set TRUE.

> > P.S.: please CC any replies to me , because I'm not subscribed to
> > lynx-dev ( but I read the web archives )

  Klaus