Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 05:53:30 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages"
[17/May/2000 Wed 02:19:45]
Chuck Martin wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 09:05:42AM -0700, pAb-032871 wrote:
> [snip]
> > RIGHT!  But vertical scrolling can already do that.  Why not
> > have it write a whole frameset into a single HTML cache-file,
> > and then render that?  Yes, Lynx would have to ignore the multiple

> If you put all of the frames in a single "cache-file", what do you do
> when you follow a link?  Split the cached document up and splice in the
> new document?  Replace the whole thing with the new document?  What if
> the link you followed was a menu frame, and the new document is a text
> frame?  Replacing the whole frameset with the new text document means
> you no longer have the menu frame on the new page, but cutting and
> splicing seems to be a lot of unnecessary complexity, and something

No, I just figured a single index, combined from the initial frameset
documents, would be a lot simpler than the incomprehensible names
people give the components of framesets [which is what appears
in Lynx's interpretation].  That way, hitting the back-arrow would
put you on a page that makes some kind of sense; an index you
can navigate from without too much guesswork instead of the "Your
browser doesn't support frames. . ." thing that usually comes
up.

The extra cutting and splicing you mentioned WOULD be a waste
of time.  All I meant was a combined *index* file.  From there,
subsequent links could be followed normally.  Thanks for pointing
that out, by the way.  My descriptions aren't always the clearest.

> that would probably be very difficult to implement.  I think the present
> way of doing frames is as good as any.  Personally, I think frames are
> stupid, and hardly *ever* serve a useful purpose, even in graphic browsers.

Amen.  But it looks like we're stuck with them. . .

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>