lynx-dev Where are the Cookies?

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: lynx-dev Where are the Cookies?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:37:05 -0500

        I am still confused about what happens with cookies.  I
do not have a file in my home directory of .lynx_cookies, at
least I didn't create one and I don't see one when I am not
running lynx.  I have been asked upon visiting some sites to
accept a cookie which I do, in some cases.  When the session is
over, I look for a .lynx_cookies file and don't find it.
There is even one local site that prompts for a cookie so I start
lynx in the following way:

lynx  -accept_all_cookies http://the_url

        This does bypass the prompt, but I still see no cookies
afterward.  Where did they go?  I have done nothing unusual in
lynx.cfg.  The lines dealing with the cookie file are:

#COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies
#COOKIE_SAVE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies

        In other words, no cookie file is defined.  When I accept
the cookie, what actually happens?

        I am a little concerned that there are cookies somewhere
that I don't know about.  Me thinks when it comes to web browsers
and cookies, a little paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing.
The site that I use that always prompts for a cookie is harmless
and that's why I skip that step, but other sites may not be so
be nine.

Martin McCormick