Re: lynx-dev Where are the Cookies?

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Where are the Cookies?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:41:44 -0700

In "lynx-dev Where are the Cookies?"
[17/May/2000 Wed 13:37:05]
Martin McCormick wrote:

>       I am still confused about what happens with cookies.  I

There was another discussion about cookies just the other
day [thanks, Klaus for the note that "Lynx users should NOT
have to resort to these tricks..."  Good point].  It deals
with persistent/temp cookies, so it might interest you.  I
won't bother with linknames, because they're all;
"Re: lynx-dev Bug : Cookies setting not saved"
Except the first, which has no "Re:"

http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00231.html
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00233.html
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00235.html
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00236.html
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month052000/msg00237.html

Or you can just go to the first URL and follow the "Next
by Thread" links.

> do not have a file in my home directory of .lynx_cookies, at
> least I didn't create one and I don't see one when I am not
> running lynx.  I have been asked upon visiting some sites to
> accept a cookie which I do, in some cases.  When the session is
> over, I look for a .lynx_cookies file and don't find it.

If you're not finding a file, there probably isn't one.  Lynx
only writes persistent cookie files if it's been expressly
told to do so.  Otherwise, it dumps them from memory at the
end of each session.

Doug Kaufman's reply deals with the related entries in lynx.cfg.

>       I am a little concerned that there are cookies somewhere
> that I don't know about.  Me thinks when it comes to web browsers
> and cookies, a little paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the built-in default for cookie files is in your login
directory, or in the same directory as the Lynx program itself
if you're using it locally.  Basically, the same place where
your .lynxrc is stored.

Why do these names start with a dot, by the way?  If SHOW_DOTFILES
is restricted, you need to look for them using an FTP client
[other than Lynx] that has dotfiles enabled [this last note
is only relevant to shell accounts, by the way].

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>