lynx-dev lynx should respect LANG

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: lynx-dev lynx should respect LANG
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 09:46:11 +0900

Hi all,

lynx 2.8.3 is internationalized well enough even for ordinary
Japanese users, thanks the members of lynx-dev team.

But I have one request to ask you all.  lynx has configuration
file, lynx.cfg, and so any user can customize important behavior
of lynx with it.  Perhaps you all would be satisfied with this.

However for a novice user in Japan or any other country where
his native language is so far different from English and so
who does not know even the existence of lynx.cfg or who knows
lynx.cfg but has not enough ability of English to understand it,
it is difficult to set up correctly his lynx.cfg.

So I think that lynx should be able to change behavior according
to the value of LANG environment variable, that is, if LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
for example then lynx should set "CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp" and
"PREFERRED_LANGUAGE:ja,en" at least.

English-speaking people and/or people of Latin character might think
this is superfluous but it is not so.

Consider the case when a novice user in Japan installed Linux or so
with lynx but he found lynx does not display Japanese text correctly
(in fact it displays meaningless lines of strange symbols which no one
can understand!).

Then he would search information around internet.  Solution is certainly
there, even in Japanese, but he can not read the solution -- how to set up
lynx for Japanese character in Japanese.  And lynx help does not help
him because it is written in English.  And even if some kind Japanese
translated lynx help to Japanese a novice user can not read it because
he did not set up lynx for Japanese character yet!

So it is very important that lynx behaves well for any people
without any set up.

I hope I do not ask too much to lynx-dev team and I wish to
hear any comments, suggestions and/or ideas.

Thanks in advance,              2000.5.20

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>