Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 20:12:14 -0700

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 10:47:32PM -0400, brian j pardy wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2000, David Combs wrote:
> > Here's the output from the chronicle of higher education:
> > [...]
> >
> > Note that below, the paragraphs are NOT separated by an "extra" blank line;
> > if they were, the article would be MUCH MUCH easier to read --
> > especially when I'm displaying 132-cols wide (I have it 79 here, for
> > sending to lynx-dev, so everyone can see it without lines wrapping on
> > narrow screens).
> >
> > [...]
>
> >From lynx.cfg:
>
> # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR tags.
> # If set TRUE, two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a single
> # line break.  Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in HTML
> # is via a PRE block with only newlines in the block.
> #
> #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
>
> > PS: yes, I looked at the options page, and saw nothing
> > related.
>
> Perhaps this should be on the options page?
>
> --
> We are each entitled to our own opinion, but no one is entitled to his
> own facts.
>       -- Patrick Moynihan

First, I've copied that neat Moynihan quote into my list of quotes.
Thanks!

Second:  my lynx.cfg looks just like yours, with that
":TRUE" commented out.

I suppose that means that the DEFAULT for it is FALSE?

----

OK, I just duplicated that line, removed the comment,
and changed the TRUE to FALSE, and ran lynx.

Shows same thing -- no blank lines between paragraphs.

What I would like is for a mode/option to do something
NOT according to the standard: to make <br><br> issue
a blank line.  Just so I can READ the stuff.

I don't what buggy html-generator generates this stuff,
but you see it here and there.  Probably NS and IE do just
what I want.

That real complicated page I mentioned -- I got the html,
downloaded it, and ran netscape on it -- and it
did have whitespace between the paragraphs.

---

Well, what do you all think?

We sure as hell aren't going to be able to track down
all buggy html-generating packages and fix THEIR bugs!
And then get all these pages to RE-generate them!

Thanks

David