Re: lynx-dev Error starting lynx - "metamail:Can't open temporary file!"

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Error starting lynx - "metamail:Can't open temporary file!"
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:52:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Bob Izenberg wrote:

> [ Message from un-subscribed address address@hidden forwarded by
> moderator ]
>
> > I'm using Lynx Version 2.8.2pre.5 (20 May 1999) on Mandrake 6.0.
> > I'm getting the following error now matter how I try to start  lynx:
> > metamail:Can't open temporary file!
> >
> > Is this a new bug, or is there a way to correct this?
> >
> > thank you,
> >
> > Larry Thomas

> [ Message from un-subscribed address address@hidden forwarded by
> moderator ]
>
> > hi pal, an error message come up "matamail : Can't open temporary file!"
> > when I try to run "lynx -dump http://lynx.browser.org";.  Could u give me
> > some cure. Thanks
> > I am using Mandrake 6.0 with Lynx version 2.8.2pre.5 (20 May 1999)
> > Best Regards.

This is a know problem with the way some version of lynx was setup
by Mandrake.

See the lynx-dev archives for previous discussion.

- Upgrade to a newer version of lynx (preferred)
and/or
- Set the environment variable TMPDIR or LYNX_TEMP_SPACE before
  starting lynx, it must point to a valid (existing and writable)
  directory.

  Klaus