Re: lynx-dev displaying current page title in xterm window title

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev displaying current page title in xterm window title
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:43:45 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>

> >  As I remember, some fraction of lynx users run lynx in xterm (or other
> > terminal emulator for X that support setting the window title via some
> > escape
> > sequence). It seems to me that setting the window title to the page title,
> > if
> > running under terminal emulator, would be a handy improvement to lynx. Are
> > there any additional thoughts on this subject (for example, how 'screen'
> > running in xterm will handle such escape sequences).
>
> screen doesn't pass that through - there was some discussion recently
> on another thread to the effect that it does not appear to support the
> status-line controls (which would be a way to make this work).
>
> >  Also, what is the most clean way of detecting of whether running in
> > xterm-like terminal (it seems to me that the easy hack is to check whether
> > $WINDOWID and/or $DISPLAY are defined)?
>
> environment variables are not reliable.  I would make a small utility
> which tries to open the display if I wanted to know if I were in an
> xterm.

  Are they so unreliable ? As for connecting to X server - I think
that this is unnecessary complexity. I think that every terminal emulator
for X sets $WINDOWID, and that this environment variable won't be set under any
other circumstance. Of course the user should be able to turn this feature
off or on (since user can telnet to other machine from xterm and will be
willing to see page titles in xterm titles). So this needs lynx.cfg setting
like  PAGE_TITLE_IN_XTERM_TITLE:TRUE/FALSE/AUTO (true and false are
unconditional settings, and auto will check $WINDOWID value)  and commandline
option like -use-xterm-title[+-].

> >   -Vlad
>
> --
> T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>