Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:23:51 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Comments?
>
> PLEASE, DON'T do it.  A VERY complex and intelligent wrapper that
> would handle the four or so environment variables concerning encoding
> and NLS, set paths to specific help/doc files, and be sure terminal
> and console settings are sane could be written with less words than
> the explanation you proposed for lynx.cfg alone, not even considering
> the extra parsing of lynx.cfg and coding for lynx.  Why do it?
>
> I mean lynx.cfg is way too big.  (And don't give me that "use includes"
> jive; 50 x 2.6k still equals 130k.)  Is any end to come to this madness?

 Henry, I can send you a couple of floppies :)

 You can strip all comments (beside default values definitions) from lynx.cfg
and use the resultant lynx (it will be 3K or so). Just build htmlized
documentation form lynx.cfg and put it somewhere on http (OK, I can put it on
my homepage if you don't have space on http server:) and read all descriptions
from there.

 As for original topic - I think that the wrapper will do it much better (it
would be much flexible) than coding it into lynx. I also think that it would
be nice to provide some kind of support for russian users too (to don't bias
to JP only).
 The biggest problem is to name the wrapper and to force people to use it.

 As for another proposal - the setting like
MIMIC_COMMON_BROWSER:TRUE/FALSE would be nice (or some functionality
achievable via wrapper). When this is activated, it should be equal to
injecting the following definitions to lynx.cfg:
        COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE
        FORCE_EMPTY_HREFLESS_A:TRUE
and probably some others for controlling REFERER header (probably) and invalid
cookies, and some other not yet implemented settings (one of them will
probably be CASE_SENSITIVE_FRAGMENTS:FALSE).

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad