Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:31:38 -0700

How long before everyone gets sick of this thread?

In "Re: lynx-dev LYNX: sometimes need <br><br> to generate blank line"
[24/May/2000 Wed 04:15:36]
David Combs wrote:

> So I switched the "#", getting "TRUE":

I went to the sample site you mentioned;
http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i38/38a01801.htm

Looked fine when I switched COLLAPE_BR_TAGS to FALSE.  Lynx made

>   1061  .h2 COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS
>   1062  # If COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS is set FALSE, Lynx will not collapse serial BR
> tags.
>   1063  # If set TRUE, two or more concurrent BRs will be collapsed into a
> single
>   1064  # line break.  Note that the valid way to insert extra blank lines in
> HTML
>   1065  # is via a PRE block with only newlines in the block.
>   1066  #
>   1067  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
>   1068  #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE

> That comment about collapse doesn't say what the EFFECT
> is SUPPOSED to be when you switch from true to false
> and back.  Isn't a break a break is breakBreakBreak? --
> well, I just ordered, at 45% off (bookpool is having 45% off
> sale on ALL O'Reilly books)  its thick 3rd ed book on html.
>
> Also, would be nice if that comment would actually
> give me an example of actual code to generate
> a blank line.  (The "pre" followed by block of
> newlines -- a bit confusing for non-htmlers!).

Okay, here's a sample [a lot like Klause's sample] and an explanation:

line 1<br><br>`paragraph' 2

With this setting;
   1067  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
   1068  #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE
It'll look like this:

line 1
`paragraph' 2

See how the two <br>'s are *COLLAPSED* into a single line-break?

With this setting;
   1067  #COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:TRUE
   1068  COLLAPSE_BR_TAGS:FALSE
It'll look like this:

line 1

`paragraph' 2

See how they're *NOT COLLAPSED* here?

About the PRE block, here's another sample:

some text<pre>

</pre>some more text.

You'd see all the whitespace between those tags in your browser.

> Anyway, the screen doesn't look like I want it to.

Did you bother to quit Lynx and then re-launch the program?  It
loads settings from lynx.cfg at startup -- only once -- and changes
to these settings won't take effect until the next session.

> Also, this page: http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i38/38a01801.htm
>
> Go look at it.  Do you like what seem to ME to be
> squished-together PARAGRAPHS (regardless of what
> the html says!).
>
> Now, whoever has NS or IE, look at it with that.

No thanks.

> How does it look NOW?
>
> A lot better, I bet!

A lot louder, to be sure.

> So, is there some <br><br> hack that we can try
> that will make the page readable on LYNX?

No need.  Resetting the TRUE/FALSE switch in lynx.cfg did it just
fine.

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>