Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:42:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

> From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:31:35 +0900 (JST)
>
> > There is no need to touch userdefs.h at all just "for Japanese users."
>
> Although you might ignore a very little effort to set up lynx.cfg
> or ~/.lynxrc but it is not true that there is no need to touch
> userdefs.h at all just "for Japanese users."

You have not sustantiated this claim so far.

> > What about X?  Isn't it a matter of having the appropriate fonts
> > available and not what $LANG is?
>
> Well, is this right?  I think that $LANG should be set even if
> the appropriate fonts are available.
                           ^ un?

If $LANG indicates that a certain character set and encoding is understood
and can be displayed by the display environment, while that is not
actually the case, then the environment is obviously broken.

> > I agree.  If a user can't set $LANG, then he/she's got some studying to
> > do.  If a user can set $LANG, then setting up Lynx will be a piece of cake.
>
> I think no.  Setting up Lynx is not a piece of cake as you guess.
> Even recently there are mails asking "Lynx does not display
> Japanese correctly, please tell me how to do" in a mailing list
> of Debian JP.  (Of cource my answer is "Install lynx-ja")

A better answer would be to give those users the necessary knowledge
or pointers, so they can set up lynx themselves.  Once they know, the
can repeat it on any new system (even non-Debian, non-Linux, perhaps
even non-UNIX), without depending on the existence of a lynx-ja package.

The same goes for other issues that you regard as very important, like
color configuration for various "Japanese" terminal emulators.

   Klaus