Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:06:20 +0900 (JST)

> > even offer them as choices in a menu.  With NLS you're mostly interested
> > in TEXTDOMAIN and TEXTDOMAINDIR, not LANG, as I am sure you are aware.
>
> Well, *I* am not aware of that.  Can you explain, please?  Why would
> you mess with TEXTDOMAIN*, how do you do it, and why is that

TEXTDOMAINDIR and TEXTDOMAIN are environment variables used by gettext()
to determine the path to message catalogues and the domain (=language)
to use.  Essentially it tells gettext() where the *.mo file is.  Thus, you
can have multiple message catalogues available (e.g., one for regular users
and another for public-access users, or one for experienced users and one
for novices) and chose which one to display on the basis of the environment
variable.

I disagree that LANG should be the major criterion for deciding the message
catalogue to use.  This is one further reason why I like the wrapper idea
as opposed to hardcoding interpretations as to how priorities of resources
should be determined.

__Henry