Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:44:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:42:54 -0500 (CDT)
>
> > On Wed, 24 May 2000, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> >
> > > From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
> > > Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
> > > Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:31:35 +0900 (JST)

> > > Although you might ignore a very little effort to set up lynx.cfg
> > > or ~/.lynxrc but it is not true that there is no need to touch
> > > userdefs.h at all just "for Japanese users."
> >
> > You have not sustantiated this claim so far.
>
> Well, this "You" means "me"?

Yes.

> I think this is trivial but, okay, I try to explain.
>
> If lynx is compiled without modifying userdefs.h and a user
> use this lynx without modifying lynx.cfg (and ~/.lynxrc)
> then lynx can not display Japanese characters correctly.

Of course.  But only if nobody else, like system administrator or
package installer, has modified lynx.cfg (or ~/.lynxrc) either.

> Am I wrong or am I misunderstanding something?

The statement in question was

    There is no need to touch userdefs.h at all just "for Japanese users."

Since everything relevant that can be done in userdefs.h can also be
done in lynx.cfg, there is indeed no *need* to touch userdefs.h.

Both - if you have fonts appropriate for Japanese and Russian, there is
still a need to tell the application (lynx or any other) which one to
use.  In some way.  And $LANG is one common way do do that (or at least
part of it - let's not get into X resources).

> I wish to say that I believe some X applications do not display
> Japanese character correctly unless $LANG is set, for example,
> ja_JP.eucJP etc.

Ok, I understand now what you meant, thanks.

  Klaus