lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical? (was Re: lynx should respect LANG)

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical? (was Re: lynx should respect LANG)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:10:16 -0700

On or about 24 May, 2000, Henry Nelson
<address@hidden> wrote:

        [...]

> The part about "disabled JavaScript" is no joke.  The
> successful hit rate, meaning at least some useful information
> can be gleaned from the page, with Lynx seems to be dropping
> on a daily basis.  Honestly, can Lynx render even half of the
> pages out there?

This must be highly user-dependent.  I can believe that half
(or more) of the total pages on the web are unusable with lynx,
due to javascript, strictly graphical content, etc.  But I have
a success rate of >= 95%, just because of the kind of content
I'm interested in/seek out.  Actually, PDF files are a bigger
nuisance for me than javascripted pages.  I tried filtering them
through ps2ascii (I think?) but the result was, um, aesthetically
lacking.

So I probably fire up The Other Browser twice a week for PDF, and
maybe once or twice a month, apiece, for javascript and pictures.
Easily a 20:1 lynx-to-NS ratio.  But that's just me.

> I guarantee you I will not quiver over the incorporation of two
> or three complete modules running over thousands of lines of
> code if we can get Lynx to read between the <script></script>.

I tend to agree that javascript support, at least for the
form-submission sort of thing, would probably be the single
greatest public service to the lynx-using mob.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>