Re: lynx-dev Location: redirects and reading data

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Location: redirects and reading data
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 18:15:54 -0400

On Sun, May 28, 2000, David Woolley wrote:
> > Does anybody have any reason we shouldn't close the connection after
> > we've received all of the server's headers and there is a Location:
> > redirect and we're using a GET or HEAD?  (Other than it being rude, of
> > course.)
>
> It breaks persistent connections, and would be triggered on every
> redirect, as all are supposed to include some fallback text.  Even
> if Lynx doesn't use persistent connections, a proxy might.  Lynx probably
> should use them, although, without frames or images, most will time out
> except when crawling.

Is there a typical timeout for persistent connections specified in the
spec somewhere (maybe just a TCP stack timeout)?  Or is it something left
up to individual server operators?  If there's anything specifying a
timeout of more than 30-45 seconds or so it might be worth doing -- I
can often find the link I want to go to that quickly.  I assume the
work coding wouldn't be worth it, though, for the minimal gain.

As an aside -- do we *ever* do anything with that fallback text?
Store it somewhere, perhaps to show if we get an error from the location
specified in the header?  Should we?

--
You never have to change anything you
got up in the middle of the night to write.