Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:20:45 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:

> In "Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions"
> [31/May/2000 Wed 02:02:12]
> Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> >   Lynx doesn't support persistent source cache  - i.e. this source cache
> > will
> > be lost on exit from lynx. Use caching proxy like squid for caching, and
> > direct lynx to use it (by setting http_proxy:http://localhost:3128/ in
> > lynx.cfg).
>
> Just curious: is there any way to create a file://localhost/ caching
> proxy, or pseudo-proxy, when running Lynx on a your own machine?
> This isn't a major concern, because I usually just download HTML
> files that look like they'll be useful later [especially big ones,
> because I only have to wait for the modem once: from then on,
> CPU speed is the only delay].

 I suggest you to get another PC box (may be even 486), install linux on it,
and telnet to it for running lynx (like in your shell account) and
administering. You can run setup a caching proxy (squid) on it easily too.

> But I guess with a local copy of the program, you can just move
> the files, or the temp directory itself, immediately before you
> quit Lynx and that would protect them [and putting them back would
> make the files available to Lynx next time you ran it].

 Of course you can copy temp dir, but the files stored in it will be filenames
generated from random characters - you won't be able to guess the name of the
original file name from the name lynx chose. Also, lynx won't use the files in
that temp folder in the next session, so you won't be able to reuse these
files as a cache.

> Unfortunately, the Mac version uses the system's Temporary Items
> folder, which is invisible to the user [um, me] and cannot be
> specified in Open File dialogs. . .  Even with applications that
> can normally *see* invisible files.
>

>                     Patrick
>           <mailto:address@hidden>

 Best regards,