Re: lynx-dev (key) Hex-ASCII values. . . ?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (key) Hex-ASCII values. . . ?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:46:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, pAb-032871 wrote:

> But as a file format, I don't know how diffs work.  A rough guess
> would be something like;

There are different formats; original, 'diff -c', 'diff -u'.
You should be able to figure the format out by looking at some
examples (like in the archives of this list), at least for the
latter two.

>     del;"old string 1"
> replace;"del;`old string 2',add;`new string 1'"
>     add;"new string 2"
>     add;"new string 3"

Kinda like the original diff format.

> which leaves unchanged items completely out of the file and saves
> space.  Is this even close?
>
> ResCompare might be a better example [a freeware patching utility].

Seems to be similar in pronciple, except that diff just acts on
files as text, an on a line by line basis.

See your friendly UNIX shell account for man pages (man diff, man
patch) if you really want to know more... (or find some Web getaway to
man pages or info files).

    Klaus